What are the most important things you can do to make sure your couch lasts?
1. Keep it Clean and Fresh
- Regularly vacuum your couch to remove dirt, dust, and debris that can accumulate over time. Here’s the only post on the internet on dusting your couch courtesy of, yup you guessed it…
- Use a WELL REVIEWED upholstery cleaner appropriate for the fabric type to tackle stains and spills promptly.
- Rotate and fluff the cushions regularly to maintain their shape and avoid sagging.
- Air out your cushions periodically to keep them smelling fresh and rosy and discourage the buildup of odors. Introducing them to Mr. Sun is also something that our team of experts recommends to kill bacteria. It’s like the PG version of a golden shower!
Taking these steps will not only help your couch look pristine for when ma comes to visit but also extend its lifespan. Here’s Couch.com’s opus to how to clean fabric couch!
2. Protect it from Sun and Moisture
- Place your couch away from direct sunlight to prevent fading and discoloration. A little sun is ok but our glowing source of life can also fluff some s#!t up!
- Use curtains, blinds, or UV-blocking window films to shield your couch from harmful rays.
- Avoid placing your couch near sources of excessive moisture, such as humidifiers or open windows. Especially when it comes to a couchbed or a sofa with sleeper because of the mattress!
- If your couch is near a window, consider using window treatments to protect it from potential water damage during rainfall.
By shielding your couch from sun and moisture, you’ll preserve its color, texture, and overall quality.
3. Fluff and Flip Cushions Regularly
- Fluffing and flipping your cushions regularly helps redistribute the couch cushion foam and ensures even wear. Elle Woods had the “bend and snap” but Couch.com has the “fluff and flip” (trademark pending).
- Rotate the cushions every few weeks to lessen the impact of constant use on specific areas. You’re gonna find some gross stuff in between the cushions but it’s important!
- Avoid sitting on the same spot repeatedly to prevent excessive wear and tear on one area. This especially applies to chaise lounge cushions which often can’t be flipped due to their shape and configuration.
By paying attention to your cushions’ maintenance, you’ll keep their comfort intact. By doing this you’ll also avoid the dreaded sagging cushions that we’ve all experienced many a time…
4. Address Stains and Spills with Care
- Blot spills immediately with a clean cloth or paper towel to prevent them from seeping into the fabric. This can even apply to a leather sofa as well- always get to it quickly, even if you’re 3 drinks and a doobie in… you know who you are.
- Avoid rubbing or scrubbing the stain too vigorously, as it can damage the fabric fibers.
- Use gentle cleaning agents specific to your couch’s fabric type, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test any new cleaning product on a small, inconspicuous area of the couch before applying it to the stain.